My name is Julian Berton, a passionate security professional with a thirst for learning and sharing knowledge with other like minded people.
Employment - Seek Limited
During the work week I’m an Application Security Engineer at seek.com.au where i am tasked with protecting SEEK’s products, services and customer data from the bad guys. In other words my role involves some of the following:
- Influence and improve the security culture within the product teams so that they start considering the security of their product throughout the SDLC.
- Develop and deliver security training to get tech teams inspired about the security of their applications and to give them the required knowledge to produce secure products.
- Mature SEEK’s Security Development Lifecycle (SDL) by implementing controls such as a bug bounty program, security requirement checklists, automated security testing tools, etc.
OWASP Melbourne Chapter Lead
I volunteer my time to run regular application security events in Melbourne for the OWASP Melbourne chapter community. The events are designed for both security and technology professionals and students keen on getting into the industry. Some recent events have been:
- Moving Fast and Securing Things @ Slack
- Ancient Wisdom from Security Architects of Old
- FUZZAPI-ing API’s - Automating REST API testing with FUZZAPI
OWASP AppSec Day - Conference Organiser
Through my involvement with the OWASP Melbourne chapter I also organise a yearly, full day, application security conference called OWASP AppSec Day. In 2017 we had over 300 delegates attend three streams of talks and hands-on workshops presented by local, interstate and international speakers. A selection of 2-day training courses were also available for attendees to sharpen their application security skills even further!
Speaker and Trainer
I frequently speak at technology events throughout the year about application security topics and post the slides and recordings (if available) on this site! Some recent talks:
- Running a Bug Bounty Program - NDC Sydney 2017
- Rumours of our Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated - CrikeyCon 2017
- Thinking Like A Hacker - DDD Melbourne 2016
Want to find out even more about me? Checkout my LinkedIn Profile.