My name is Julian Berton, a passionate security professional with a thirst for learning and sharing knowledge with other like minded people.
During the work week I’m a Security Engineer at seek.com.au where i am tasked with protecting SEEK’s products, services and customer data. My role involves some of the following:
- Influence and improve the security culture within the product teams so they start considering security within their product.
- Develop and deliver security training to get tech teams inspired about the security of their applications and to give them the required knowledge to produce secure products.
- Mature SEEK’s Security Development Lifecycle (SDL) by implementing controls such as a bug bounty program, security requirement checklists, automated security testing tools.
I volunteer my time to run regular application security events in Melbourne for the OWASP Melbourne chapter community. The events are designed for both security and technology professionals and students keen on getting into the industry. Some recent events have been:
- Moving Fast and Securing Things @ Slack
- Ancient Wisdom from Security Architects of Old
- FUZZAPI-ing API’s - Automating REST API testing with FUZZAPI
Through my involvement with the OWASP Melbourne chapter I also organise a yearly, full day, application security conference called AppSec Day. In 2018 we had over 500 delegates attend four streams of talks and hands-on workshops presented by local, interstate and international speakers. A selection of 2-day training courses were also available for attendees to sharpen their software security skills even further! AppSec Day 2018 in Review has some more highlights from the day!
Speaker and Trainer
I speak at technology events about security topics and post the slides and recordings on this site.
Want to find out more about me? Checkout my LinkedIn Profile.